Injury at work / occupational disease – short-term benefits
According to Croatian legislation, injury at work is:
- An injury caused by immediate and short-term mechanical, physical or chemical action or injury caused by sudden changes in body position, sudden body load or other changes in the physiological state of the body, if it is causally related to the performance of the work or activity on the basis of which the injured person is insured in compulsory health insurance, as well as injury resulting from compulsory conditional training related to maintenance of psycho-physical fitness to perform certain tasks, in accordance with special regulations,
- A disease caused directly and exclusively by an accident or force majeure during the work or performance of an activity or in connection with the performance of that activity on the basis of which the person is insured in the compulsory health insurance,
- An injury incurred in the same way to the insured person on a regular trip from the apartment to the workplace and vice versa, and on the journey undertaken to enter into the job position, or to a job on the basis of which he or she is insured in the compulsory health insurance,
- Injuries or diseases referred to in points 1 and 2 occurring in insured persons in special circumstances (regular education, practical classes, rescue operations, military service, etc.).
More information is available at
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
The procedure is initiated by submitting the form "Application for injury at work" or "Application for occupational disease" to the regional office or branch office of the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (HZZO) competent according to the place of residence or temporary residence of the insured person and may also be submitted to the regional office or branch office of the Croatian Health Insurance Fund according to the employer's seat.Application for injury at work form (.xls)
Application for occupational disease form (.xls)
The application is submitted by the employer or self-employed person, i.e. in case of special circumstances, the organizer of certain jobs and activities.
Sick leave is established and registered by your chosen general medicine / family medicine practitioner.
Within the scope of compulsory health insurance, persons insured in Croatian Health Insurance Fund are provided with:
1. The right to specific health care carried out by doctors of medicine and occupational medicine specialists and
2. Rights in case of recognized injury at work or recognized occupational disease.
Rights in case of a recognized injury at work, or recognized occupational disease are further divided into:
a) The right to health care and
b) The right to monetary benefits:
- Salary compensation during temporary incapacity for work,
- Compensation for transport costs related to the exercise of the right to health care and
- Compensation for funeral expenses.
For persons with regulated compulsory health insurance at the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (HZZO), the right to salary compensation based on recognized injury at work or recognized occupational disease will be calculated and paid by their employer, from the first day and at the expense of the Croatian Health Insurance Fund. The compensation is paid in the amount of 100% of the compensation base which is determined in accordance with the Croatian legislation on compulsory health insurance.